While working on my breeding bird block, T66R17a, I found a singing Wood
Thrush. And unless he was a ventriloquist, there was another Wood Thrush
singing a ways back in the woods on the other side of the road. I was on
Forest Road 479C, about 1/2 mile from Co Rd. 24 in an area of mixed forest
with a predominance of Tamarack. Too bad they're not in their safe dates
yet.

Many other Warblers are arriving back at Crane Lake including Mourning and
Golden-winged. Scarlet Tanagers are also invading the area filling the air
with their hoarse song and hanging out at the tree tops - some trees aren't
fully leaved out yet so they're easy to see right now. And last but not
least, I heard tons of Veerys calling and singing this morning.

Wilson's Snipe seem to like logged off areas and they were calling from the
slash piles. I could walk right up to them before they flushed.

Dee Kuder

Crane Lake

--
Dee Kuder