During our late afternoon respite from the rains, I stopped at Westwood
Hills Nature Center to see if the storms had stalled any migrants. I
encountered a loose flock of migrants northwest of the parking lot,
centered near the small pond crossed by arched wooden bridge. Highlight for
me was a beautiful male *Canada Warbler*--who was singing--first time I
have heard its song (FOY). Also in this flock were 5 other warbler species,
and *Least* and calling *Willow Flycatchers *(FOY). On the NW side of the
lake there was an Olive-sided Flycatcher, perched uncharacteristically
low--which made it seem gigantic to me. On the NE side of the lake there
was a *Yellow-throated Vireo* doing its rough chatter after its
self-questioning song. If you plan on doing the whole lake loop, be advised
that the northside is flooded and I needed to go barefoot to make this part
of the loop. My eBird list at end of this message.

Looking up,
Alex Cruz
Ramsey Co, MN

*Westwood Hills Nature Center, Hennepin, US-MN*
May 24, 2012 5:40 PM - 7:10 PM
3.0 mile(s)
Comments:     Birding during a break in the overnight and day rains (about
2.5" overnight.
30 species (+1 other taxa)

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)  1
Downy Woodpecker (Picoides pubescens)  1
Hairy Woodpecker (Picoides villosus)  1
Olive-sided Flycatcher (Contopus cooperi)  1
Eastern Wood-Pewee (Contopus virens)  1
Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii)  3     FOY. Calling "hwit!".
Least Flycatcher (Empidonax minimus)  1
Yellow-throated Vireo (Vireo flavifrons)  2
Warbling Vireo (Vireo gilvus)  3
American Crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos)  2
Tree Swallow (Tachycineta bicolor)  5
Cliff Swallow (Petrochelidon pyrrhonota)  2
swallow sp. (Hirundinidae sp.)  10
Black-capped Chickadee (Poecile atricapillus)  5
House Wren (Troglodytes aedon)  2
American Robin (Turdus migratorius)  5
Gray Catbird (Dumetella carolinensis)  1
Cedar Waxwing (Bombycilla cedrorum)  1     Heard only.
Nashville Warbler (Oreothlypis ruficapilla)  1
Common Yellowthroat (Geothlypis trichas)  5
American Redstart (Setophaga ruticilla)  1
Yellow Warbler (Setophaga petechia)  10
Canada Warbler (Cardellina canadensis)  1     Beautiful male foraging low
on paved trail near small pond with curved bridge--northwest of parking lot
to park. Male sang often. FOY.
Wilson's Warbler (Cardellina pusilla)  1
Song Sparrow (Melospiza melodia)  2
Northern Cardinal (Cardinalis cardinalis)  5
Red-winged Blackbird (Agelaius phoeniceus)  10
Common Grackle (Quiscalus quiscula)  3
Brown-headed Cowbird (Molothrus ater)  2
Baltimore Oriole (Icterus galbula)  6
American Goldfinch (Spinus tristis)  5