I went to one of my favorite stops which is on the Morrison
County/Stearns border near Bowlus, Mn. It is a murky spot in an
abandoned gravel pit and has produced many good shorebirds. Not today.
But the unexpected usually happens when I bird. I went a little further
heading west and out of the side of my eye I saw a large black blur
approaching. It went past a herd of cattle, who didn't even give it a
second look or stop chewing their cud. They must have been familiar with
the blur. It was a grown sow bear and the first I have seen in Morrison or
Stearns. I claim it for both counties. While I bird I learn a lot more. My
expertise in animal, plant, and insect life has grown. Just another reason
for going birding. A little further there is a group of Red Headed
Woodpeckers. I claimed them for both counties also.   Frank Gosiak, Little
Falls, Mn. Morrison County.