On 6/15, I started the Itasca County portion of my MNBBA surveys and I
thought I'd post some notes of interest since I've heard from people
interested in the other recent Itasca sightings.

6/15 (north of Deer River area)
LeConte's Sparrow - ~.2 mile east of CR 154 on CR 37
Great Horned Owl - very last intersection of the southern access to
Bowstring Lake, .7 miles before you reach the lake (several American
Woodcock just beyond this point to the west as well)
Magnolia Warbler (1 of 3 in this block) - CR 133, .25 mile east of 35
Palm Warbler - ~.5 mile north of the same intersection on 35

6/16 (north of Nashwauk area)
Eastern Whippoorwill - heard prior to starting surveys, take turnoff by
Trout Lake access north into Bovey, go straight .8 mile from 169 until the
road curves around near the bike trail and starts to turn uphill
Connecticut Warbler - .6 mile north of Wolf Lake Trail on Hwy 65
Black-billed Cuckoo - CR 52, 1.4 miles west of Hwy 65
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - one bird .8 miles south of CR 52 on CR 552, the
other bird was on the road opposite 552 but 1.1 miles north of CR 52.  In
another block, Yellow Bellied Flycatchers were present at 4.4 miles east of
Hwy 65 on Link Lake Trail and .2 mile S of Link Lake Trail on W Sturgeon
Forest Road
Canada Warbler - about .1 mile S of the second Yellow-bellied Flycatcher
Palm Warbler - at Johnson Lake access off of Link Lake Trail
Olive-sided Flycatcher - .15 mile E of Beatrice Lake Rd on Finn Feather Rd
Red Crossbill - lone bird flyover from the McCarthy Beach tent campground
on the Beatrice Lake peninsula
Magnolia Warbler - one bird at the beginning of the Moose Lake access road,
another along the snowmobile trail directly across CR 551, and a third
along CR 563 about .3 mile S of Hwy 1 (all in the Thistledew Lake area)

6/18 (north of Deer River, includes the very large Old Hwy 6 spruce bog)
Connecticut Warbler - one bird along the Old Hwy 6 ditch (OH6 is no long an
actual road and can only be driven under very dry or frozen conditions),
3.3 miles N of Hwy 6; 2 far more accessible birds along Hwy 6 at 1 and 1.5
miles N of CR 37
Yellow-bellied Flycatcher - at last Connecticut Warbler location and at
nearly every point in the bog on Old Hwy 6
Lincoln's Sparrow - several points on Old Hwy 6
Palm Warbler - also several points along Old Hwy 6
Gray Jay - with 2 fledglings along Old Hwy 6

Shawn Conrad