On the northeastern edge of Boom Island Park, on the wide mowed path that is
near the fences of abutting houses, I spent ten minutes watching a
red-breasted nuthatch work its way through the few conifers along the path.
There was no mistaking the black and white stripe above through the eye, its
teeny-tiny size, and its occasional monotonous call.

I've never seen one there before - the closest I've seen them in town has
been Reservoir Woods  and Central Park in Roseville, and at Theodore Wirth.
I haven't been getting over to Boom Island much this season during peak
birding hours, will try to do so more often.

Karen Kraco
NE Minneapolis