I spent 17 days birding in Murray & Pipestone counties for the Breeding
Bird Atlas mostly in June, finding 120 species, including seven migrants
and confirming breeding for 62 species.  Two other species were reported by
locals: Screech Owl was confirmed breeding last year, and a Whip-poor-will
heard by a resident a few days earlier.

Unexpected summer birds included a Common Loon (in non-breeding plumage)
Buffalo Lake in Murray Twshp, Murray Co., a Solitary Sandpiper in Pipestone
Co., a pair of Trumpeter Swans at the Big Slough in Murray Co. (first
summer record), American Wigeon in SW Holly Twshp along CR 14, Murray
Co.(first summer record),  and Barred Owl, Pipestone (first summer
record).

Good birds included:
Least Bittern:
   Murray Co: Doveray WMA in Murray Twshp (1st summer record)
   Pipestone Co: Engbarth Slough, Rock Twshp (1st summer record)
   Cottonwood Co: Talcot Lake WMA north of CR14 just east of county line,
SW corner of county
Marbled Godwit: Murray Co. along east boundary of northern Lowville Twshp
Upland Sandpiper:
   Murray Co.  in three townships, including several locations around and
ne of Hjerstad WMA in Ellsborough Twshp
   Pipestone Co. in four townships,  including just north and south of
Woodstock,  and in Altoona Twshp where 221th Street          crosses the
Flandreau Cr., where I had at least three Sandpipers, including one who
repeated flew over to check me out.
Blue Grosbeaks
   Murray Co. in Moulton Twshp, near the top of the hill on 40th Avenue
south of CR4. An Upland SP was heard here also.
   Pipestone Co. on the west side of the farmstead at the corner of Highway
75 and the Lincoln Co. line. Another was seen two miles to the south near
the bridge over the Flaudreau Cr.
Eurasian Collard Doves: (found in towns)
   Murray Co:  found in Slayton (first summer record)
   Pipestone Co: found in Pipestone, Holland, and Ruthton

Animals of note:  Badger, Striped Skunk, Mule Deer, Richardson's Ground
Squirrel (two locations), Blanding's Turtle (Pipestone Co), several hugh
Snapping Turtles, Grey Fox, several Red Fox, including one group of three
kits, and a once-in-a-lifetime encounter with a baby Mink, which I could
not resist petting.

I found some neat plants including death camas, rough false pennyroyal,
prairie lilly, a dry prairie fern, that  I have  yet to ID, and a plant
that I have to track down its name that has not been reported in Minnesota
before.  I wish I had taken a photo of this last one, but I know where to
find it.
--
Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN