Hi Minnesotans-

Red Crossbills are also irrupting into southern Wisconsin (Milwaukee and
Madison) and Michigan. There are also reports from Nebraska and Kansas, and
from as far east and south as North Carolina near Asheville. Sounds like
numbers are moving past Hawk Ridge, too! Keep the sightings coming!

Jesse Ellis
Madison, WI

On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 6:07 PM, Ben Harste <mnbir...@brainlaser.com> wrote:

> I looked at the MOU database for Red Crossbill sightings in the month of
> August, regardless of year, in the whole state of MN.  So far there have
> been 7 separate reports of Red Crossbills in August 2012, which compares to
> 14 total reports in the state of MN in August before this year.  Most of
> these sightings have been in the last six days so it seems like this is a
> very unusual occurrence for them to be coming down in such numbers this
> early.
>
> It was also exciting to be able to see them in Minneapolis in August no
> less.  About 20 or so Red Crossbills did make a brief appearance at the
> reported spot in Theodore Wirth Park around 1:45 PM before flying off to
> another part of the park.  Unfortunately they were high up in the trees so
> I couldn't get any pictures of them.
>
> Ben Harste
> Bloomington, MN
>

> On Sun, Aug 19, 2012 at 5:10 PM, Pat DeWenter <hoocooks4...@gmail.com
> >wrote:
>
> > Isn't it pretty unusual to have that many sightings of Red Crossbills so
> > far south in MN?  I'd better get out searching for them up here.
> > Pat DeWenter
> > Bemidji
> >
> > ----
> > Archives: http://lists.umn.edu/archives/mou-net.html