Thanks to all who responded to me on the MOU listserv about some photographs I
taken of some butterflies.  I am very aware that this is a bird listserv and I
know that many birders are also well trained in other areas such as butterflies
or dragonflies so posting my request to this listserv was a valuable tool in
getting the help I was looking for. So thank you to the many responses I gotten
over the past few days!

Back to birds..

Here is the update on some free MOU field trips I am conducting this fall -
winter seasons.

November 3-4 2012  MOU Grand Marais Field Trip
Begin in Duluth on Nov. 3 and bird our way to Grand Marais.  We will bird some
areas north of Grand Marais on Nov. 4 and then bird our way back to Duluth.
A great birding trip for so many reason because its the time to look for
accidental bird species that wonder off course, late migrants and the beginning
of winter birds moving southward.
16 people signed up for the field trip.
4 spots left to fill up field trip.

January 19 2013 MOU Sax-Zim Bog Field Trip
This is a one day field trip that will offer birders to be led around the "bog"
to look for all the winter bird specialties that occur in the Sax-Zim Bog area.
8 people signed up for the field trip.
12 spots left to fill up field trip.

January 5 2013 Gull Workshop
This is a one day field trip focusing on winter gulls that over winter in the
Duluth and Superior, WI area.  We spend the time outside viewing Thayer's
Gulls, Iceland Gulls, Glaucous Gulls, Herring Gulls and Great Black-backed
Gulls.  I will teach participants on how to separate these gulls from each
other, so by the end of the work shop you can walk away feeling more confident
about understanding winter gull plumages and learning the differences between
the gull species we will be observing.  Cost $25 per birder.
5 people signed up for the workshop
5 spots left to fill up workshop

*If you are interested in any of these field trip offers please reply to me
privately.

Other bird notes:

Northeastern Minnesota is currently experiencing a record year of Red
Crossbills moving southward down the north shore of Lake Superior.  In the last
3 days I seen 90 Red Crossbills flying over head while I was at work in
lakeside neighborhood of Duluth.

Birders are reporting large amounts of Nighthawks migrating southward along the
shores of Lake Superior in Duluth and also in Ashland, WI. in the last few days.

Warbler species can be found most days along Park Point and other areas in
Duluth.

Good Birding

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota