At around 9 PM last evening, I saw a small flock of shorebirds that appeared to
be foraging in the parking lot and in the mulched medians near the REI store,
Maple Grove shopping center.  It was dark and I had no binocs so I tried to
sidle up to them by slowly following them in my car.  This worked pretty well
and I had it narrowed down to “plover” species, perhaps Semipalmated, when they
were flushed by a car streaking through the parking lot – it is amazing how
fast they can go in a parking lot.  The birds gave themselves away when they
flew away – mostly Killdeer.  I was unable to positively ID any others but
there were about 15 – 20 birds in the flock.

Sid Stivland
Plymouth, MN

(and risking my neck in Maple Grove)