Jay Hamernick came for a visit this morning, and when headed back to Shoreview
drove the Ann Lake campground road, where he found about 30 red crossbills and
a Townsend's Solitaire.  The crossbills were 1/4 mile east of Sherburne CR 5
along the campground road.  The solitaire was closer to 1 mile west of CR 5,
near the small parking area with the large, yellow gate.  This road is most
easily accessed from CR 5 about 1 mile south of the community of Orrock.

Refuge volunteer Ken Brennen found our first flock of redpolls along the
wildlife drive mid week.  (As posted earlier, the wildlife drive is closed
during the deer gun season - will reopen on November 12, unless we get snow
before then).

At refuge HQ feeders, we have lots of juncos, several fox sparrows, 2-3
white-throated sparrows, American tree sparrows (which showed up yesterday),
and quite a few goldfinches and a few pine siskins.  Two pairs of purple
finches were here yesterday, but haven't seen them today.  Otherwise, lots of
chickadees and all the normal feeder birds.

On CR 16, west of the refuge on Wednesday, there was a red-shouldered hawk in
the yard by the old Kragero School House, seen by myself.

LOOK FOR FOOTAGE OF THE SANDHILL CRANES ON KARE 11 TONIGHT - EITHER AT 5:00 OR
6:00!!!

Betsy Beneke
Sherburne NWR