I checked out both Lake Calhoun and Lake Harriet this evening for gulls.
200+ gulls (almost none at L. Calhoun) were on the ice and limited open
water on L. Harriet. I arrived at the south end around 4:20/4:30. Sean
Peterson, who had been there for about 15 minutes I got there, had some
great looks at the adult GREATER BLACK-BACKED GULL. At that time, the gulls
were closer to the south end; perhaps a spotting scope would not have been
required. Then when I got there, the gulls flew (thanks, Bald Eagle) and
settled at the opposite end. Before it started getting dark at 4:50pm, we
managed to pick out the juvenile GLAUCOUS GULL. Sean saw some AMERICAN
COOTS as well.

There is not a lot of open water left on neither of the two lakes. Lake of
the Isles is completely iced over from what I saw. The next few days' high
temperatures range from the low 20s to the low teens...

Good birdin'!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Golden Valley, Hennepin Co., for the winter holidays