 From: Matt Paulson <matpaul...@netscape.net>
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Sent: Saturday, February 16, 2013 12:27 AM
Subject: [mou-net] Duluth Area Owls

Spent the afternoon searching for the owls around Duluth, starting with the
Boreal Owl. At about 1:30 we found a line of cars near the intersection of
Scenic 61 and Old North Shore Drive, and sure enough they were looking at a
Boreal Owl. We then fruitlessly searched for Great Grays on some of the nearby
county roads working our way toward the Hawk Owl location on Martin Road. We
did spot the Hawk Owl at about 3:30 behind the dirt factory. Our scope quickly
attracted the attention of other birders who then tipped us off on a recently
seen Great Gray. We then traveled to Alseth Rd between its intersections with
Scenic 61 and Stoney Point Rd, and sure enough there was a Great Gray perched
near a white boat where it was said to be! Our final destination was Canal Park
for the Snowy Owl, which arrived to the flagpole at exactly 6:10. All four
northern owls in one day! The only other birds of interest were several
Northern Shrikes seen throughout the
 afternoon.

Matt Paulson
La Crosse, WI