From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of
Frederickson Randy
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 10:53 AM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: [mou-net] Winter finches

Currently have about 220 redpolls feeding in my back yard.  Numbers had
dropped off these past two weeks, and reading other reports from southern
MN, I thought the large flock I'd been feeding all winter was gone.  I
always have goldfinches in the winter, but the redpolls seemed to have
displaced them this year.  I honestly don't think the goldfinches can
compete with this mass of redpolls, though I have a smattering of siskins
mixed in.  The siskins typically feed at the end of the redpoll sessions.
Going through about 7 lbs of seed/ day, and all my feeders are squirrel
proof.
Conversely, I have searched at least twice a week since early Dec. for pine
grosbeaks and crossbills and have not turned up a single bird, though I have
found areas where crossbills have fed.

Off topic...perfect time of year to remove sparrows and starlings from your
Martin housing.  Use live traps so you can release nuthatches, chickadees,
etc.

Randy Frederickson
Willmar Middle School