Yesterday's MBW group found a Hoary Redpoll (possibly 2) among a flock of about
50 Com Redpolls along the entrance road to Hawkeye Co Park at Indian Lake. This
apparently represents a first Nobles Co record, and this was only 0.4 mile from
the Iowa state line, where this species is considered Accidental.

Elsewhere in Nobles Co, most of the waterfowl we encountered were at L Okabena
in Worthington, where an estimated 5,500 geese were concentrated in an area
kept open by aerators. Of these, 3,500+ were Cackling and 1,500+ Gr
White-fronted, which are probably the largest numbers of these 2 species I have
ever seen in MN. Curiously, there were only a couple hundred Canada Geese
present and not a single Snow/Ross's!

Also here were 15 duck species, with Greater Scaup the only notable species
(expected but not found anywhere yesterday were Am Wigeon, Blue-winged Teal,
and Bufflehead). In addition, there were Trumpeter Swans, Am Coot, and Herring
Gulls at L Okabena.

We also spent some time in Jackson Co, primarily at Round and Liitle Spirit
lakes which both had aerators. At Round Lake there were ~3,500 waterfowl,
mostly geese, but the distance involved made it difficult to estimate the
numbers of each species. However, this was the only place yesterday with
Snow/Ross's Geese, although there were only 8 individuals. (All appeared to be
Ross's, but they were too far away to ID for sure.) And at Little Spirit Lake
there was a concentration of ~850 Gr White-fronteds among the 1,000+ waterfowl.

Open water away from the few aerated lakes we checked was almost non-existent
(and, as posted Friday, there is basically no snow cover here). Mostly
non-existent as well yesterday were migrant landbirds: about all we turned up
of note besides the redpolls was a group of ~20 Lapland Longspurs just S of
Round Lake.

Kim R Eckert
ecker...@gmail.com
http://www.mbwbirds.com