Went fishing on Medicine Lake on May 8. There were some rafts of coots, nesting
bald eagles, wood ducks, mallard. and some bluebills.

Also some Horned Grebes.   When we approached them with the boat, they ran on
the water much like a loon and then took off. The flew just a foot or so above
the water for a few hundred yards and then landed again.  Quick choppy flight
and the short wings were obvious.

Dwain Warner said he never saw a grebe fly.  My guess is this is only the
second time in some 60 years of birding that I ever saw one fly.

Fishing was slow.

Don Beimborn
By Cedar Lake in Minneapolis>