Observed a night heron on the backside of Hearding Island last night.  There is
a marina next to Hearding Island.
Walk around the backside of the marina, (still public property here I
believe....).  The bird was foraging across the
boat channel on the shoreline of Hearding Island.  I would have posted this
last evening, but the bird's plumage
was throwing me for a loop.  Thanks to Bob Dunlap and John Longhenry for
helping me to identify the bird
as a black crowned night heron.  The reason I'm posting the info is because
this is typically a difficult bird
to find in the Duluth area and maybe it will still be there.  Towards sunset,
it did fly way up into a poplar tree on the
island, and looked like it was going to spend the night.  I'll post an image in
the showcase for review.
Regards,
Shawn Zierman.