Yesterday Paul Smithson and I birded Hok-si-la Park in Lake City plus Sand
Point trail in Frontenac State Park and Rt. 42 just north of the Highway 61
Cannon River bridge. By 3 p.m. we saw 100 species, including 9 species of
ducks at Sand Point (3 late Bufflehead, 4 Redhead, 2 Ruddy Duck), 20
species of warblers (including Blue-winged, Golden-winged, Bay-breasted,
Cape May at Hok-si-la), and a sub-adult Orchard Oriole and Rufous-sided
Towhee along Rt. 42 < 1/2 mile southeast of the intersection with Rt. 61.
Later in the p.m. I saw or heard 10 species of sparrows (including 8 Harris
Sparrows at once) between the entrance to Spring Lake Regional Park (near
Hastings) and the model airplane parking lot in the park. The area north of
the brown sign for the model airplane area was most productive, plus around
the airplane parking lot. Had towhee plus 11 species of sparrows for the
day, great views of 21 species of warblers thanks to few leaves being in
the way, and 116 species total.

Dave Zumeta, Minneapolis