On 19 May 2013 at Park Point, Duluth, observers witnessed the biggest
fallout of thrushes, warblers, and other passerines in recent memory. Our
total of 24 warbler species did not include Pine Warbler (which was
reported by others) or Connecticut Warbler. The bonanza lasted throughout
the day, although by afternoon the rate of new arrivals diminished.
Record-high counts of 43 Veeries and 135 Swainson's Thrushes were found at
the Recreation Area, and warblers seemed to be everywhere. During the early
morning hours, overwhelming numbers of birds in reverse migration were
moving past 43rd Street so quickly that most could not be identified; we
estimate that only 10-15% of the early morning warblers were ever
identified. Difficult viewing conditions in the afternoon, including high
winds and poor visibility, also hampered our ability to identify each and
every individual.

Four observers (Mike Hendrickson, Jan & Larry Kraemer, Peder Svingen)
conducted eBird area counts of Southworth Marsh, morning and afternoon area
counts at the Recreation Area, and stationary counts at Lafayette Square
and the bus turnaround at 43rd Street. We also surveyed parts of the beach
on the Lake Superior side of the Recreation Area. Observer effort and time
were similar during our morning and afternoon area counts at the Recreation
Area; however, the morning count favored areas near the ballfields, while
the afternoon count favored the area between the entrance to the Recreation
Area and the first parking lot. The total number of passerines counted in
the afternoon was considerably less than our morning total, but at least 9
species were found in the afternoon that had not been seen earlier in the
day. New individuals continued to arrive well into the afternoon. It should
be noted that our area counts focused on passerines; a few exceptional
waterbird species were reported by others during the morning, but we wanted
to carefully document the exceptional numbers of thrushes, warblers, and
sparrows.

Heavy fog lingering from the previous day of rain and wind limited
visibility in the morning to about 1/4 mile, but by late morning the fog
lifted as the offshore winds (ENE 20-25 mph) picked up. By afternoon the
winds were so strong that it was nearly impossible to see and/or identify
waterbirds on Lake Superior. None of the larger trees and shrubs on Park
Point were leafed out due to winter-like weather extending well into May
(Duluth had its snowiest April ever with more than 50 inches of snow and
persistent cold). Hummingbirds were trying to find sustenance from willow
catkins and the first buds on fruiting trees without much success. Warblers
congregated along the shore on both sides of the point. Northern
Waterthrush, American Redstart, and Magnolia and Yellow warblers were among
the most common species foraging along the bayside shoreline.
Orange-crowned, Tennessee, and Cape May warblers were among the most common
species foraging at or below eye level in willow, red osier dogwood, and
other small shrubs. American Redstarts, and Cape May, Magnolia, and
Chestnut-sided warblers were foraging on the ground and flycatching from
low perches.

Despite the strong offshore winds, hundreds (perhaps thousands) of warblers
were desperately trying to find food and shelter among the grasses and
small shrubs along the dunes. Warblers were apparently searching for
insects and any other available sustenance in the detritus washed up on the
beach. Hundreds of Palm Warblers were foraging along the wrack line, along
with several other warbler species. Most surprising to us were the
Blackburnian and Blackpoll warblers (species normally seen foraging in
trees above eye level) and the Mourning and Canada warblers (species
usually seen skulking in heavy undergrowth) that were picking at debris on
the beach. Though adding a splash of color to the beach on a dreary and
overcast day, we realized that these birds were stressed by the cold, windy
conditions and lack of food sources. The following data represent our best
effort to count and keep track of birds throughout the day and undoubtedly
underestimate the numbers of the most common warbler species. These totals
do not include the thousands of warblers migrating past the 43rd Street bus
turnaround prior to our arrival at Park Point. We also missed seeing most
of the thousands of sparrows reported by Douglas Mayo.

Our results:

43 Veery (record high count)

6 Gray-cheeked Thrush

135 Swainson's Thrush (record high count)

4 Golden-winged Warbler

61 Tennessee Warbler

12 Orange-crowned Warbler

53 Nashville Warbler (4th highest northbound count)

7 Northern Parula

22 Yellow Warbler

26 Chestnut-sided Warbler

72 Magnolia Warbler (2nd highest northbound count)

92 Cape May Warbler (2nd highest northbound count)

5 Black-throated Blue Warbler (2 males, 3 females, 2nd highest northbound
count)

84 Yellow-rumped Warbler

1 Black-throated Green Warbler

8 Blackburnian Warbler (including adult male on the beach)

118 Palm Warbler

1 Bay-breasted Warbler

4 Blackpoll Warbler (including adult male on the beach)

12 Black-and-white Warbler

185 American Redstart (3rd highest northbound count)

28 Ovenbird

14 Northern Waterthrush

1 Mourning Warbler (on the beach!)

7 Common Yellowthroat

18 Wilson's Warbler

3 Canada Warbler (adult male on the beach!)

plus 4,000 unidentified warblers

Ten species of sparrow including:

140 Chipping Sparrow

11 Clay-colored Sparrow

1 Vesper Sparrow (rare migrant at Duluth)

27 Savannah Sparrow

--
Peder H. Svingen
Duluth, MN