Hello:

        Seven to ten days ago a Gray-cheeked thrush collided with our front
window.  I heard the sound and quickly got up to see if anything needed help.
Sure enough there sat a thrush on the courtyard brick, stunned but alive.  I
went out and walked up to it and it appeared fine but dazed.  Not sure if it
needed to be picked up and warmed until it was okay I decided to wait a couple
of minutes and watch it from the window.  The bird was in the warm sun.  I took
the 20 steps and looked out and I could see the thrush was squatting, like
hiding.  I quickly went out and picked it up with the two fingers over the head
and held it.  It wriggled and squawked, wanting to be turned lose.  I took it
away from the house and let go and it flew some what wobbly to a near by pine.
While it was flying in flew a crow trying to pick it off in mid air.  It missed
and I took nature in to my own hands and yelled and waived at the crow and it
flew away.  The thrush was safe in the pine.  Later in the day a Gray-cheeked
thrush was around the front yard again and I like to think it was the same
bird.  No expired bird was found under the pine.  I'm "guessing" the thrush saw
the crow looking at it from our roof, that is why it was trying to hide.

        Fast forward to today.  Drove in our drive and saw a Redstart fly up to
our closed garage door, appearing to chase an insect.  It was only in the low
fifties and windy and the warblers were skittish.  The Redstart looked like it
brushed or hit the garage door.  It was fine and flew to the bushes near by. We
have a V shaped roof above the garage.  Before we drove 20 feet more a crow
landed on the peak of the garage looking down over the edge towards the
driveway where the sound came from.  I know crows are smart.  One sees what
they can do, raiding bird and rabbit nests.  They will take anything they can
catch.  Would it be far fetched to think a crow could learn a sound like that
means a possible meal?

Robert Jessen,  Austin