From: Minnesota Birds [mailto:MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU] On Behalf Of Steve
Weston
Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:06 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Mystery wren captured on my backyard feeder cam

Interesting photo!  Wouldn't it be nice if the birds would carry ID tags.
The bright white supercillium and long tail narrow the field down to just
two choices: Carolina Wren and Bewick's Wren.  The Carolina Wren is regular
in the SE Minnesota and perhaps into the Metro Area.  The Bewick's is
accidental with only 7 fall records in the state and hasn't been seen since
1998.  Obviously, we can't expect it to be a Bewick's.  The really long
tail and the cool brown color make it an easy decision: it is a Bewick's
Wren.  The only problem is that I do not have confidence in the color
integrity.  Looking at the white under-tail coverts, and using Sibley, we
definitely tell that this is a juvenile plumage...ummm...a juvenile plumage
Carolina or Bewick's.   If you look carefully, you will see some faint
barring on the edge of the wing, which according to Sibley makes this
definitely a Carolina Wren and when you look at National Geo for
confirmation, you can see that both species have barring on the edge of the
wing.  Look at the shape of the bird.  Sibley describes the Carolina as a
stocky bird and the Bewick's as slender.  The Carolina weighs more than
twice the Bewick's.  And, when we compare this bird to the Downy on the
edge of the photo and ask the question of comparative size:  Is the Downy
closer to 1.33 times the weight of the wren or three times the weight of
the wren?  To me, the Downy looks much larger than the wren and easily
twice its weight.

I believe that this is the rarer Bewick's Wren.  I think that the size,
shape, tail length, and most important, color indicate an ID of Bewick's.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
swest...@comcast.net