Adding to the many reports from inland and southwestward in Minnesota,
tonight there were at least two golden plovers moving between the ball
field on Park Point in Duluth and the sands on the lake side, where
sanderlings in high numbers and gulls may have been providing them with a
sense of security.

The plovers, vocalizing as they have in past autumns, led me from the road
past the ball field to check for them along the beach, where at least three
of them had staked out a piece of ground for foraging. A slow easy approach
on my part was met with signs of stress and curiosity, three watchful birds
whose whole set of gestures gave them a much greater air of wildness than
the sanderlings nearby or the placid ring-billed gulls. Head bobs,
freezing, gazing and runs in my direction as if to see better, then away in
the other direction made me decide to hold my ground.

When the sanderlings lifted in their exquisite unison and swept off the
plovers left as well, and then the one plover who had stood stillest,
seeming a bit larger and paler than the other two, and maybe three-legged
or lame exhibited black wing pits which clued me in that we had a
black-bellied plover with two goldens. None of the plovers by then proved
to be three-legged.

Here is a quick poem from a previous fall migration season, best shared
with fellow birders:

   I am not meek but mighty,  \ though light as grass, but \ surpassing all
coasts,
I spurt by the thrust of \ my call: "Quee-ee-eep!"  \ and its rip of the
air, in thrall to the stream of my cry, \ a beam down the hemisphere.

'The Golden Plover, Southbound'

--
*Tanya Beyer*

Watercolor/mixed media flora, birds and wildscapes
are available for viewing or purchase at
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EpiphaniesAfield

*Tanya Beyer Barcikowski - d.b.a. Epiphanies Afield, Natural History Art
from the North American heartland
*

See and order note cards, frameable prints and original art at:

   http://www.etsy.com/shop/EpiphaniesAfield

Artworks can be viewed at mnartists.org - search by name: Tanya Beyer
 Want a signature like mine?
<http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Fr1.wisestamp.com%2Fr%2Flanding%3Fpromo%3D21%26dest%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wisestamp.com%252Femail-install%253Futm_source%253Dextension%2526utm_medium%253Demail%2526utm_campaign%253Dpromo_21>
CLICK
HERE.<http://s.wisestamp.com/links?url=http%3A%2F%2Fr1.wisestamp.com%2Fr%2Flanding%3Fpromo%3D21%26dest%3Dhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.wisestamp.com%252Femail-install%253Futm_source%253Dextension%2526utm_medium%253Demail%2526utm_campaign%253Dpromo_21>