I was gull watching this afternoon with Ted Keyel, Peder Svingen, Larry & Jane
Kraemer and Karl Bardon at Canal Park.

Highlights:
- 3 Adult Thayer's Gulls
- 2 third cycle Thayer's Gulls
- 2 first cycle Thayer's Gulls
- 1 first cycle Lesser Black-backed Gull

These gulls were found among the 300 gulls in the Canal Park area but we saw at
least another 400-500 more gulls life off the roof of the DECC (Duluth
Entertainment Convention Center) when a eagle scared them off.

If it wasn't for gulls the Duluth area I do not know what we would do for
birding up here.  The north shore is quiet with virtually no movement of winter
finches or any migration at all except the raptor movement at Hawk Ridge.  The
Long-tailed Duck female type is still actively feeding in the safe harbor at
the McQuade Road along Scenic Highway 61.  Other than that its slow.  So for
now the gulls are keeping us happy!

Mike

Mike Hendrickson
Duluth, Minnesota