From: rv-bi...@googlegroups.com [mailto:rv-bi...@googlegroups.com] On Behalf
Of Jeff Tufts
Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2013 2:27 PM
To: rv-bi...@googlegroups.com
Subject: [RV Birds] Re: Woodpecker-palooza

Here's Steve's answer to the "woodpecker state quiz."

Stephen Shunk st...@paradisebirding.com via
<http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1311182&ctx=mail>
lists.oregonstate.edu
11:31 AM (52 minutes ago)
  <https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif>
          <https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif>
  <https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif>

to obol, COBOL
  <https://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gif>
All,
Thanks for the enthusiastic responses to the quiz on state/provincial
woodpecker rankings!
Here is a summary of your responses:
AB 1 (14 spp)
AK 1 (9 spp, but the only state with Great-spotted)

AR 1 (10 spp)
BC 2 (14 spp)
CO 2 (12 spp)
FL 1 (10 spp)
HI 1 (No, Gates, there are no woodpeckers in Hawaii. However, there were
ALMOST woodpeckers in Hawaii...see below)
KS 1 (12 spp)

NM 5 (14 spp)
NV 4 (see below)
RI 1 (lowest of all states and provinces with 6 spp)
(some of you guessed AZ and TX, but I already gave you their rankings in the
original post)

And, the answer is NEVADA!
Nevada is only missing 4 Nor Am woodpecker species (not counting
Great-spotted): Golden-fronted, Red-cockaded, Arizona, and Ivory-billed.
And, only 4 of Nevada's woodpecker species are considered "review" species,
giving the state 15 regularly occurring woodpeckers.

Jim Kopitzke, Alan Contreras, Rob Conway, and Joel Geier all got this
correct.

New Mexico is a good guess, especially since the state ranks 4th for all
birds on its list (just above Oregon, which rests comfortably in 5th place,
with CA, TX, and AZ in spots 1-3).

Here are the top states and provinces:

19 - Nevada
17 - California
16 - TX and OR
15 - AZ and OK
14 - AB, BC, ID, NM, WY
13 - MT, NE, UT, WA

NOTE: It is possible that some of these have been bumped up a notch in the
last few years, as I have not had time to check the very latest official
state lists, except for the states at 15 and up.

Regarding woodpeckers in Hawaii, the following note was published in the
November 1901 edition of The Condor:

"The Commissioner of Agriculture and Forestry of the Territory of Hawaii is
desirous of securing a supply of live woodpeckers and writes Mr. W. Otto
Emerson as follows:
'I am desirous of obtaining a number of the downy woodpeckers to be
introduced here on the different islands. Will you kindly let me know where
I can obtain say 100 or 200 and
the probable cost?' Those who can assist in the matter are urged to
communicate with W. Otto Emerson, Haywards, Cal."
Apparently, this never happened.

Happy Holidays and Abundant Woodpeckers to All!
Steve Shunk

--

Check out our new web site!
www.paradisebirding.com <http://www.paradisebirding.com/>