It was a harsh but  interesting raptor/prey week here at the Stivland ranch in
Plymouth.  This morning, as I was about to pour the milk on my granola, there
was a disheartening “thump” on the kitchen window.  So I set down the milk and
looked out the window, expecting to see one of my little buddies lying on the
deck with his feet in the air.  But instead a little female Cardinal was
clutching the window frame, pressing her nose (I mean her bill) against the
glass.  She seemed OK, eyes open, alert, perhaps not injured.  So I slowly
moved to the patio door and carefully opened it far enough to peek around at
the Cardinal.  There she was – motionless – trying to blend in (that is, as
much as you can blend in when you are red and brown against a white vinyl
background).  I looked up just in time to see an accipiter zipping toward me at
what must have been 100 MPH.  Whew!  Fortunately, just before he (or she) hit
me he did a 180 and kept going – out of sight through the oaks.  I say
“fortunately” because I did not have a back-up plan if he had zipped past my
head into the kitchen.  Share my left-over chicken, I guess.  But I think I
have some idea what it is like to be the target of an accipiter – man, can they
move!  And are they ever maneuverable!  Oh, ya – mama Cardinal flew away – this
time.

Earlier in the week, our Red-shouldered Hawk made an appearance  (we don’t
actually own the bird – they just show up about this time every year).  For a
time it perched on the Comcast cable in the back yard, then took off to the
east.  My wife happened to be looking out the east window and saw it dive into
the raspberries and “pounce” on something.  It flew back to a tree perch with
something furry in its talons, probably a vole of some sort.  My wife refused
to watch – “I don’t want to see it eaten alive”, she said.  It wouldn’t have
mattered, that hawk ate that vole in no time flat.

Even though it is November it is still a new day – every day!

Sid Stivland
Plymouth, MN