Watching streaks in sports come to an end is a fairly common experience. I
suspect a lot of streaks come to an end in the birding world also. I had one
of those days today. I knew it would happen someday, but one still hopes it
will go on just a little longer. In 2010 I decided to see how many days I
could observe chickadees during that year.. I missed on five days. Trying
again in 2011 I missed on four days. During 2012 I missed only on 1/22. My
next miss came today. It was a day on which I spent a lot of time indoors
for a large family gathering. My streak ended at 675 consecutive days.
However, that includes days when I was not in Minnesota, like 12 days this
July while in Ecuador checking on their birds. When one does this type of
thing, one sets his own rules. Those were mine. I loved it. It was
surprising how many times I would look out at my bird feeders, see a
chickadee come flying in and feel a big smile spread across my face.

Glad I did it, but sorry to see it end. Of course, there always tomorrow!

Bob Holtz