I was out of the state over last weekend, but still in the lower 48. See if
you can identify where our family went, in this email I sent to my birder
mother when we arrived home (place names removed for the puzzle...)!

Send any replies back-channel, so as not to clog our in-baskets!!

Tuesday we drove home, beginning in early a.m. with good weather and a
wonderful panoply of views and birds: so many rough-legged hawks (all phases
of adult and juvenile plumages were represented) on every 3rd electric or
phone pole or sparsely available tree and some fences for several 100 miles!
Every 3rd or 4th was a red-tailed hawk (again, several phases), a few
kestrels and smaller raptors that may have been sharp-shinned, 1 for sure
golden and quite a few bald eagles, and 1 for sure short-eared owl coursing
over the partially snowy landscape. I would say at the LEAST 200,000 snow
geese (not kidding on the numbers, they made many salt/pepper flocks in the
air and covered many fields along the way), a close-up look at a flock of
the smaller cackling geese, quite a few of Canada geese, a few horned larks,
and 2 meadowlarks. There was hardly any snow and it was a lovely, sunny and
WARM day, about 50 degrees early in the day (very uplifting!) but getting
colder as we approached and entered Minnesota.

Holly Peirson

Columbus, SE Anoka Co.