I took a different "scenic route" home from work today, inspired by my second
osprey sighting and the great blue heron at Sherburne NWR.  I saw a
red-shouldered hawk along Sherburne CR 23 just south of it's intersection with
CR 4 - across the road from fire number 9852.  This is just outside the town of
Becker, just east side of Hwy. 10.

There was a pair of sandhill cranes along Sherburne CR 16, one mile east of
it's jct. with Hwy. 10, south side of the road, along the fence line.

Additionally, there was a corn stubble field full of trumpeter swans along CR
16 just east of Briggs Lake/bridge/public access.  They were very vocal - fun
to hear!  There were many more swans, Canada geese and a few mallards in the
river south of the bridge.  I was hoping for a woodduck sighting.  Nope.
There's quite a bit of open water south of the bridge and it is often the first
place I see trumpeters in Sherburne County in early spring.

Rooster pheasants are hollering across the marsh from my yard as I write this.
Love the "spring" sounds.

HAPPY SPRING everyone!!!

Betsy Beneke
St. Cloud, Benton County