My son was on hwy 27 between Lastrup and Onamia about 3 miles west of the
Millacs/Morrison County line and saw a large white crane on the ground with
a few Sandhill Cranes. He said the bird was larger and when he stopped he
spooked it up. The cranes flew over him and the larger white crane had black
wing tips that stood out. He said it was dark over the top and under sides
of the eyes and seemed dark reddish. He was really excited when he saw the
bird because the size really impressed him. I have only seen one bird like
this and there were two of them in South east Minnesota a few years back.
They were banded Whooping Cranes that many of us ran on and came from
Wisconsin. My son said that is what he thought it was but has never seen one
before. I was wondering if others in that area may have seen the bird and if
they would even migrate through here this time of the year. I asked him if
he saw a band and he said he was to busy looking at the other features and
was somewhat stunned. Any responses would be appreciated. I almost left my
students in the middle of the class to drive out there. Tomorrow I will be
combing that area.