Hi
There are a fair amount of waterfowl above the Coon Rapids Dam this past week.
Yesterday and today I have walked above the Brooklyn Park side and around the
construction zone to the river to find as many as several thousand waterfowl.
Fair amounts of Scaup, mostly lesser I think, redheads(at least a dozen today)
Bufflehead, hooded mergansers, common mergansers, ruddy ducks, double crested
cormorants ( i saw over one hundred yesterday and less than that today), coots,
blue winged teal and i think I saw two green winged teal this morning.  Also
today I saw my first osprey of the year but some friends saw at least one
yesterday.  The two I saw today seem to be comfortable around the nest.  On the
Coon Rapids side upstairs behind the visitors center we have seen many of the
birds listed from the other side as well as many eagles, and a few other
raptors like sharp shins and red shouldered hawks and two rough legs.   I have
a few photos from this past week at this link
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ronsthoughts/13727723315/
Ron Taube
Coon Rapids