I was fortunate enough to spot and photograph an adult EURASIAN TREE SPARROW at the bird feeders on the University of Minnesota Crookston campus this afternoon. John Loegering and Sandy Aubol were able to come and take photographs as well. The bird was foraging with dark-eyed juncos, a fox sparrow, and house sparrows. The bird was noticeably more petite in overall size and bill size than adjacent house sparrows, with a back patterning more in line with what I would expect with a chipping sparrow. Rufous cap and black cheek dots immediately set the bird apart from other sparrows. The bird was close enough to identify naked-eye.

NOTE: If you intend to look for this bird, please be aware that campus is closed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday for a holiday weekend. Campus will be open tomorrow from 8AM to 5PM, and normal scheduling will resume on Monday, 4/21/14. The bird is viewable without entering the buildings, however, please email me (vl...@crk.umn.edu) if you intend to visit so I can give you additional instructions.

Photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29551014@N07/13882690715/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/29551014@N07/13882753713/

Happy birding!