Curt Rawn, Tony Lau, Brad Abendroth and I tallied 116 species between four
sites in Faibault, Jackson, and Cottonwood Counties today (+1=117 from
Freeborn County).

The highlight was experiencing a small scale fallout of 15 warbler species
at Old Mill Park in Minnesota Lake (Faribault County), in addition to other
neotropical migrant songbirds (as it seems to be the case with almost
everyone posting on MOU today). Here is our warbler list from Old Mill,
plus other birds of note observed there:

Tennessee Warbler (~3)
Nashville Warbler (~5)
Orange-crowned Warbler (2)
Golden-winged Warbler (2; one male, one female)
Yellow Warbler (3)
Chestnut-sided Warbler (~7)
Magnolia Warbler (3)
Yellow-rumped Warbler (10+)
Palm Warbler (~4)
Blackpoll Warbler (~10)
Black-and-white Warbler (~12)
American Redstart (4)
Common Yellowthroat (3)
Northern Waterthrush (2)
Ovenbird (~20)
Western Grebe (1, although apparently there is a colony here)
Virginia Rail (1)
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker (1)
Eurasian Collared-Dove (2 at grain elevators in town)
Common Nighthawk (1)
Ruby-throated Hummingbird (1)
Warbling Vireo (1)
Yellow-throated Vireo (1)
Blue-headed Vireo (1)
Purple Martin (~6)
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (2)
Gray-cheecked Thrush (3-4)
Swainson's Thrush (2)
Eastern Towhee (1)
Lincoln's Sparrow (~12)
White-crowned Sparrow (4)
Harris's Sparrow (1)
Fox Sparrow (1)

The Des Moines River in Jackson County was quiet, although we did observe 4
male Orchard Orioles.

At Timber Lake Wildlife Management Area (Jackson County), we observed at
least 6 Harris's Sparrow, 1 Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, and 2 Bobolink, among
other species.

Talcot Wildlife Management Area in Cottonwood County gave us our sixteenth
warbler species for the day, a male Wilson's Warbler. A couple other birds
of note there include ~10 Harris's Sparrow, Peregrine Falcon, 8 duck
species, and an Eastern Kingbird (1 on the way to the WMA), plus other more
common birds.

We found no decent shorebird areas, so our shorebird count for the day was
only 5. In total, there were 9 duck species, 8 raptor species, 5 swallow
species, and 12 sparrow species.

Some misses included Horned, Eared, and Red-necked Grebes, Common Loon,
Northern Harrier, Swainson's Hawk, Wild Turkey, Sora, Upland Sandpiper,
Black Tern, Red-headed Woodpecker, Loggerhead Shrike, Bank Swallow, Brown
Creeper, Hermit Thrush, a few warbler species (i.e. Blackburnian,
Black-throated Green), Northern Cardinal, Indigo Bunting, Ammodramus
sparrow spp., and Savannah Sparrow.

All in all, it was a fine day to be out birding!

Alyssa DeRubeis
Lake Mills, IA