Hey birders,

My Big Day Team (Andrew Krenz, Trent Robbins, Benji Inniger, and myself)
did a big day in Blue Earth County yesterday (21 May 2014).  I wasn't sure
how well we would do because the day before there had been a lot of
movement and the conditions were good Tuesday night for migration (so many
were expected to leave).  Andrew and I did about 6 hours of scouting on
Tuesday and located 130 species!

herons, 8 hawks, 18 shorebirds, 6 gulls/terns, 2 owls, 5 woodpeckers, 8
flycatchers, 5 vireos, 6 swallows, 5 thrushes, 17 warblers, 11 sparrows, 10
blackbirds.  Total species: 160 (a new Blue Earth County record!).

The first couple of stops in the early morning were enshrouded in
ground-hugging fog.  Sora, Virginia Rail, and American Bittern sounded off
at our second stop with a Barred Owl testing the silence of the night in
the distance.  It had the feeling of a great day of birding before us.  The
listening conditions would be excellent until about right before dawn when
the wind started to pick up, but in spite of that we got skunked on Eastern
Screech-Owl and Long-eared Owl (2 species we've had in the past).  The only
Great Horned Owls we got were a pair of hungry nestlings screeching around
4:00am.

The dawn-site we selected this year was the Watonwan WPA, a site we had
never used before.  Its proximity to the wooded riparian area along the
Watonwan River led us to believe that we could get wetland birds, grassland
birds, and woodland birds all very close to dawn.  While this was true, the
angle of the rising sun and the woodland meant that we were staring at
silhouettes of many of our warblers (not the best).  We also wanted to get
to Lincoln WPA to get Upland Sandpiper and Henslow's Sparrow shortly after
dawn (we missed both).

The day before we had had numerous Scarlet Tanagers and many warblers but
we had to work for our warblers on Wednesday.  We killed a lot of time at
Minneopa and adjacent Williams Nature Park trying to mop up the ones we
missed at our migrant traps we went through in the early morning.  Lunch
came around 2pm when we decided that we just needed to get on to the
shorebird part of the program.  We had a few shorebirds on our list at that
point, highlighted by a Red-necked Phalarope that flew in briefly at
Lincoln WPA but we knew there was lots of shorebird habitat still to come.

At lunch we were a very tired group.  It had been a long day already and
the long walks for warblers had taken their toll.  We hit the Subway,
picked up Benji who had to miss the morning, and headed to Land of Memories
City Park in Mankato with the hopes of finding one of the resident Cooper's
Hawks or Peregrine Falcons while we ate and assessed our list.  We parked
in one of the campsites and started to get organized when I glanced at the
sky and noted an odd *Buteo* passing over.  We're still not sure what it
was because at that moment a Mississippi Kite came zipping in and chased
after the bird!  Somewhere in the process of me yelling and screaming
(after picking my jaw off the ground), the other bird disappeared over the
North Mankato ridge.  We did get to enjoy the kite though as it thermalized
and headed off to the north a minute later.  We were now energized!

We headed off to the northeast for stakeouts (Purple Martin, Sandhill
Crane) and shorebird locations.  A flooded field near the Lake Wita boat
access was great the day before.  As we pulled up, a flock of 30
Black-bellied Plovers came in.  They joined Wilson's Phalarope,
Semipalmated, Pectoral, Least, and Semipalmated Sandpipers, Dunlin, and
Semipalmated Plovers that were already there.  At Gilfillin Lake we picked
up Great Egret and Lesser Scaup but were further excited by a
winter-plumaged Black Tern which is unusual in the spring.  Madison Lake
yielded a winter-plumaged Bonaparte's Gull which was a great surprise as
well.

We then dropped down to Indian Lake which on big days past has produced
some rarities and where Andrew and I had found Western Grebes and
Canvasback the day before.  Today it held our target birds but threw in a
Red-necked Grebe and Eared Grebe just to fill out the list!

We then headed to Hobza WMA which we learned from a chance meeting with a
DNR technician was being drawn down and was a mudflat.  This is located
along CR14 south of CR168 and not far from the Cobb River/Perch Lake WPA
complex.  There were hundreds of shorebirds there alright and we picked up
White-rumped and Stilt Sandpipers in the sprawl of birds.  We then headed
west toward Perch Lake and picked up a Sanderling in a flooded field along
CR168 west of CR169.  The pair of Trumpeter Swans that has been utilizing
the WPA were there though they gave us a scare--they were tucked in the
near marsh and just happened to peak up over the top of the cattails before
we quit searching.

The sun was setting fast and we still didn't have a Red-headed Woodpecker.
 We went to our usual location and several areas near there but struck out
on that bird (a species we had seen several of the day before).  Finally we
pulled into the Maple River WMA to enjoy the last rays of light while
looking for Common Gallinule and Least Bittern (both missed).  The sunset
on the Maple River WMA was a fitting end and as we tallied things up again
(we thought we had tied the record of 157 at that point), we determined
that I had forgotten to mark a couple of birds and found ourselves staring
at that number of 160.  What a great day!  In fact, the last two days have
been great with a total of 173 species seen in Blue Earth County.

A lot of people would look at this day and say that our success was due to
my knowledge of the county's birdlife and the flush of May migration.  But
I think that all of us would tell you that we just felt so blessed by God
at every turn.  We had an unplanned hike at Lincoln WPA after dawn that put
us in position to see the Red-necked Phalarope that was there for less than
a minute (Andrew wanted us to go look for a group of peeps that he saw fly
in).   The extra time spent warbling resulted in a lunch that was supposed
to happen around 1pm being delayed--we ended up with a Mississippi Kite!
 I'm sure there were many more moments like that throughout the day.  We
were just blessed!

Sorry about the length...I am still excited by the last couple of days.

Happy birding!

Chad Heins

Mankato, MN

“But ask the animals, and they will teach you, or the birds of the air, and
they will tell you;

Which of all these does not know that the hand of the Lord has done this?

In His hand is the life of every creature and the breath of all
mankind.”    --Job 12: 7, 9, 10