This morning about 10:30 a.m. while I and a few other birders were looking
for the Black Scoter on Lake Harriet, someone bashed in the passenger
window of my car and stole a backpack off the front seat. The car was
parked on Lake Harriet Parkway in an open area, and we were standing only
about 75 yards away and across the street at the time.

The Minneapolis park police told me that the guys who do this are very
sophisticated. They do it quickly and quietly and usually have a spotter
working with them.

Fortunately, the only thing of value they got was a new pair of
prescription eye glasses—expensive, but easily replaced.

And, yes, I did get the Black Scoter. But it was one expensive bird!

Gerry Hoekstra
Northfield