A good portion of them may be coming from Summit Avenue, between Cretin and Snelling Avenues, in St. Paul. Many hundreds of Robins have been found feeding on the hackberries there on recent St. Paul CBC counts.

Julian
St. Paul

-----Original Message----- From: Bruce Fall
Sent: Thursday, January 08, 2015 8:51 PM
To: MOU-NET@LISTS.UMN.EDU
Subject: Re: [mou-net] First robins of the year?

For the past few weeks I have been monitoring a large robin roost not
far from my home in S. Minneapolis, first reported to MOU-net in mid
December by Robert Bergad. It is located in the median of E Minnehaha
Parkway, just west of 28th Ave. S. My high count so far (2 Jan.) is
1,450 robins (and 200 starlings), nearly all of which arrive in a 20-min
period starting about 15 min before sunset. Nearly all come from an
easterly direction (NE to SE) and I am sure they are flying in from
miles away but I have yet to track that down. They are roosting in about
a dozen ornamental spruces in the parkway median. The roost tree
branches are covered with hackberry seeds; the berries are a favorite
robin food from autumn well into winter. So far I have found no other
species (except starlings) in this roost. According to Robert (who lives
adjacent to the roost), these robins depart in the morning in a
similarly impressive manner, and the roost has been active since early
November.

Bruce Fall, Minneapolis