Correction:  It was Dave Evans who banded the Gyr and NOT David Alexander.
One of these days I'm going to get everyone's names right... sigh...

My apologies.

Thanks to Frank N and Mike H for catching that and bringing it to my
attention.

--Chris W

On Tue, Mar 3, 2015 at 5:09 PM, linda whyte <bi...@moosewoods.us> wrote:

> Does anyone know if the Gyrfalcon currently overwintering in Superior, WI
> might be the same one that was seen for a few winters in a row in Dakota
> County? I don't recall the Dakota one being banded, though I saw it several
> times. But I have heard that the Superior one was banded by Jackie
> (Fallon?) over 14 years ago and is the oldest living one in banding record;
> not that the views we had of it yesterday allowed us to see a band.
>
> Nevertheless, this was a very impressive bird to see. We had first sought
> it in mid-morning with no luck. Having heard it's usually seen between 2
> and 4 in the afternoon, we returned to Connor's Point then. Despite 2 hours
> of diligent searching from just outside the Peavey grain elevator property,
> we couldn't find it on any of the structures and decided to leave.
> Before departing, we drove the length of the dead-end road, looking for
> another glimpse of a Hoary Redpoll we'd seen in a small garden there. While
> we were doing that, the Gyrfalcon flew into the Peavey property, according
> to another birder there. We were scrutinizing the structures as we drove
> out, and Curt spotted the bird just as the other birder was trying to
> signal us. He and Rob worked to find good scoping scoping points.
> The bird had landed on the northwest corner (harbor side) of a tall, square
> stanchion of metal struts in front of the building with the red "Peavey"
> lettering. By perching there, it was likely able to scan the nearby flock
> of mallards foraging on the SE corner of the Peavey rail-lot, without being
> seen by the ducks.
> It spent about a half hour perched, facing the sunlight, affording us great
> looks in our scopes at its facial features and belly. It turned its head
> over its back, presumably to the oil gland above its tail, and preened a
> bit. When it lifted a leg to scratch its chin and pick at its talons, I
> never thought to look for a band. Shortly afterward, around 5:00, it took
> off, dropping behind the buildings out of our sight. We did not re-locate
> it. It was a magnificent bird to see, and it would be nice to know if it
> might be the same one that sojourned here in MN.
>
> Linda Whyte

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Madison, WI
Tour Leader
Swallowtail Birding Tours