While birding today with Lee Pfannmuller and Gary Seim, we observed 106
species, including 9 kinds of ducks and 10 species of shorebirds. We started by
leading a bird walk in Mississippi Gorge Regional Park in South Minneapolis
(Eastern Wood-Pewee, Least Flycatcher, 2 Golden-winged Warbler, 1 Bay-breasted
Warbler, and 1 Blackpoll Warbler were highlights, all near 36th Street). Lake
Byllesby produced 26 Am. White Pelican, 1 Sharp-shinned Hawk, 1 Peregrine
Falcon, several Brown Thrashers and Clay-colored Sparrows, and 1 Western
Meadowlark, but had very few shorebirds. The best location was the 180th Street
marsh and vicinity in Dakota County (2 Bufflehead, 1 Hooded Merganser,
excellent looks at 1 Virginia Rail and 1 Sora, Sandhill Crane, 5 Semipalmated
Plover, 1 Wilson's Phalarope, 1 Eastern Kingbird, 1 Marsh Wren, 3 Brown
Thrasher, 4 Am. Pipit, 1 Clay-colored Sparrow, 2 Vesper Sparrow, 1 Swamp
Sparrow, several Yellow-headed Blackbird). At Bass Ponds saw the Ruff, 200+
yellowlegs (both species), dowitcher spp., N. Pintail, and Yellow-headed
Blackbird. Migration is ramping up.