A well-intentioned but uninformed person told Carpenter Nature Center
staff, late on Sunday, that he had bought some exotic store finches
recently to secure their freedom. He did not say how many, or where they
were released, and described them only as "white, with dark beaks."
Since such birds may have trouble finding food, and would certainly be
targets for predators, if not victims of our winters, their best hope is to
be re-captured at someone's feeders. Captive-raised birds will sometimes
re-enter open cages to eat, if they are placed near a food source.
Hopefully, they'll follow some of our native finches to the nearest feeders.
Linda Whyte