Tom Soulen died in hospice on July 28 at age 80. Tom was a long-time member of MOU. He taught Plant Biology at the U of Minnesota for 38 years and received many teaching awards. He was also involved in the music community and was choir director for 35 years at North Como Presbyterian Church in Roseville. I not only birded with Tom in Minnesota, Wisconsin and New Mexico but also talked birding with him almost every Sunday after church. The only person I ever birded with who matched his ability to hear and identify birds by calls and notes was Sam Robbins.

Tom grew up in Wisconsin, earned his PhD at the U of Wisconsin in Madison, and the Wisconsin Society for Ornithology continued to be a vital part of his life even while living in Minnesota. For many years he edited the Summer Seasonal Reports in the Passenger Pigeon and was honored by the WSO with a silver Pigeon Award.

Tom was also an active Minnesota lister in Ramsey and Hennepin Counties. On September 27, 1982, he recorded one of the first sightings of a Wheatear in Minnesota. He saw it in Roseville, just a few blocks from where I lived but a family death kept me from searching for the bird. One of his greatest biding disappointments was a trip to
Attu that never left mainland Alaska due to bad weather.

Services will be September 12 at Westminster Presbyterian Church in Minneapolis. The family prefers memorials to the Wisconsin Society for Ornithology.

Manley Olson