If you subscribe to Minnesota Birding FB site, you've already seen these
photos, but for those who do not follow FB, I thought I'd post them here:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47388339@N06/22674960474/in/datetaken/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/47388339@N06/22676188093/in/datetaken/

I photographed this bird last Sunday at Brownsville Overlook. It seems to
have characteristics of both the Tundra and Trumpeter. It has the yellow
spot at the base of the bill and slightly concave upper surface of the bill
typical of the Tundra, but it has the V-shaped border at the top of the
bill characteristic of the Trumpeter rather than the U-shaped border
characteristic of the Tundra.

Adam Roesch pointed to a Sibley Guides article about Trumpeters with faint
yellow spots, but the bird pictured there looks quite different. It has a
small, dull yellow smudge rather than the distinct spot of the Brownsville
bird, and the upper surface of its beak runs in a straight line from the
head to the tip. The article suggests that hybrids exist but doesn't site a
source:
http://www.sibleyguides.com/2011/07/trumpeter-swans-with-yellow-loral-spots/

So I'm wondering what people think of this bird. I have no reason not to
think it is a Tundra, other than the sharp V-line of the beak. It was among
all the migrating Tundras at the overlook. But I did not hear it vocalize,
and I did not see its legs.

Gerry Hoekstra
Northfield