Another wonderful bird found by Duluth area birders, but so much more.
Not only a "lifer" for most of us, but how often does a chase end up
where you park in a public lot for free, walk 60 yards and get
phenomenal looks at your target bird? Throw in a heated visitors
center with clean bathroom facilities and could it get better?  Well
yes; make sure the report goes out on Friday to give us all a weekend
to travel and have the bird frequent the same area long enough that
almost no one can miss it.  Now place it on the top of a cement wall
about eye level and color it in such a way that it stands out amongst
its contemporaries. Next, turn up the outside temperature so it runs
about 8-10 degrees above the winter average.  Heck, let's do it on the
1st of January so the new year has an avian prelude.
Lastly, have the target bird show up among some of the most generous
(of time and talent), and Laridae literate folks in the upper Midwest
and there you have it, the perfect chase hosted by wonderful birding
brethren.
If there is reincarnation after death, I'm coming back as an Ivory
Gull and heading to Duluth for unrivaled recognition and camaraderie
(but could someone please tell Peder I prefer Walleye)?

Randy Frederickson
Willmar