It's again that time of year when the MOU Awards & Recognitions Committee is
considering nominees to be recognized for their contributions to the Minnesota
Ornithologists' Union. This annual tradition of recognition takes the form of
presenting the Thomas S. Roberts, Brother Theodore Voelker, and Young Birder
awards at the MOU Papers Session on December 3, 2016.

- Since 1963, the Thomas S. Roberts Award has traditionally been our lifetime
achievement award: "For Outstanding Contributions to Minnesota Ornithology and
Birding", as stated on the plaque. Previous recipients have contributed to the
MOU in many different ways, which were sometimes not directly related to
ornithology or birding. (Also note that our unofficial policy has been that a
person would only receive the Roberts Award once, so please check the link
below to see if the person you have in mind is a previous recipient.)

- The Bro. Theodore Voelker Award is "For Special Achievement in Field
Ornithology" during this year. The original intent in 1988 was that this
recipient's achievement would be related to field ornithology in one of three
categories: significant bird sighting(s), something written (e.g., journal
article, book, or technical paper), or a field research project. (In some
years, involvements in special events, conservation, mentoring, and education
have also been included in the criteria for this award, and note that a person
can receive the Voelker Award more than once.)

- The Young Birder Award is for someone under 25 years old contributing to
knowledge of Minnesota birds or to the MOU; as it reads on the plaque: "For
Contributions to Birding in Minnesota". This is our newest award, presented for
the first time in 2005.

The names of all previous recipients of these awards can be found on the MOU
website: http://moumn.org/awards.html <http://moumn.org/awards.html>.
Accordingly, please contact me if you have someone in mind for any of these
awards, and include his or her qualifications and contributions which you feel
would qualify your nominee as one of our recipients. If possible, I would like
to receive all nominations no later than September 25, and the committee thanks
you in advance for your interest and input in these awards.  -Kim

Kim Richard Eckert, Chairman
MOU Awards and Recognition Committee
1921 W Kent Rd
Duluth MN 55812