(Posted by Chet A. Meyers <chetmey...@visi.com> via moumn.org)

This morning I visited the Coldwater Spring unit of the
Mississippi National River and Recreation Area (MNRRA)
where an open house was taking place. As I entered, a large
dark raptor was drifting by. I asked one of the park rangers.
expecting a raptor release demonstration.  Such was not the
case. The bird was an adult golden eagle, no white on tail or
wings, completely dark and with golden and lighter  touch
to head, wings, and tail coverts. At first I thought is was a
Harlan's hawk, but it was too small and the underwings were
almost completely darK  It drifted in a circle so I got good
looks at it. As if in confirmation of size, an adult bald eagle
flew over a couple of minutes later in the same location