This is the Northwest Minnesota Birding Report for Thursday, January 12,
2017  sponsored by the Detroit Lakes Regional Chamber of Commerce. You may
also hear this report by calling (218)847-5743 or 1-800-433-1888.

As I compile this report, the temperature is dropping like a stone, but the
wind that we had all day has diminished. The full moon is gloriously bright,
and were it not so cold, it would be a great night to go out and enjoy it.
Birds today have been using the feeders very busily.

>From Warroad in Roseau County, Beth Siverhus reported a female NORTHERN
CARDINAL  that came to her yard on December 30. On the 5th, she saw a
NORTHERN SHRIKE  and a DARK-EYED JUNCO. Gregg Knutsen observed a NORTHERN
HAWK OWL  along MN 310 north of Roseau on January 7.

In Kittson County, Larry Wilebski saw a NORTHERN SAW-WHET OWL  on January 8,
and reported that the SHARP-TAILED GROUSE  were seen dancing. Spring must be
out there somewhere!

Heidi Hughes found BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS  in Thief River Falls, Pennington
County, on January 6.

On January 7, Shelley Steva and I found 22 BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS  in the town of
Brooks in Red Lake County.

Bruce Flaig in southern Polk County was visited by a BARRED OWL  and a GREAT
HORNED OWL  on January 9. Sandy Aubol saw a GOLDEN EAGLE  in western Polk
County on January 7, and also SHARP-TAILED GROUSE, GREATED PRAIRIE-CHICKENS,
and a BLACK-BILLED MAGPIE  a mile south of CR 69. Shelley Steva  and I saw
two AMERICAN ROBINS, and a large group of BOHEMIAN WAXWINGS  in the town of
Fosston on January 7. A SNOWY OWL  was found by Sandy Aubol south of US 2
just west of Fosston that day.

In Hubbard County, Rebecca Engdahl saw a BARRED OWL  on January 7, and
reported that the LINCOLN'S SPARROW  reported earlier is still there.

Waterfowl are still being seen in Fergus Falls in the open water there, and
a BELTED KINGFISHER  was also reported there this week.

Benjamin Eckhoff at Lake Carlos SP in Douglas County reported that MALLARDS,
CANADA GEESE, TRUMPETER SWANS, COMMON GOLDENEYE , and two GADWALLS  were
seen on January 12 on the Long Prairie River north of Carlos. LESSER SCAUP
were seen on the southwest side of Lake Cowdry. In the park, were MOURNING
DOVES, BARRED OWL , BROWN CREEPER, NORTHERN SHRIKES and  AMERICAN
GOLDFINCHES.

Thanks to all who reported sightings this week.

Please report bird sightings to Jeanie Joppru by email, no later than
Thursday each week, at ajjop...@mncable.net <mailto:ajjop...@mncable.net>
OR call the Detroit Lakes Chamber's toll free number: 1-800-542-3992.
Detroit Lakes area birders please call 847-9202. Please include the county
where the sighting took place. The next scheduled update of this report is
Thursday, January 19, 2017.

Jeanie Joppru
Pennington County, MN