(Posted by Jason Frank <jmfran...@gmail.com> via moumn.org)

Hold onto your worms, because these birds are early.

This morning my dog flushed a Common Snipe on public land just west of Gary,
SD.
Admittedly not Minnesota, but only a mile over the border. Two Northern
Flickers and a
Red-Bellied Woodpecker at the same location.

A drive up to Salt Lake yielded several overhead passes of Greater
White-Fronted Geese
moving north in flocks of 20-50 birds, 7 Red Winged Blackbirds, lots of
Starlings and 3
Meadowlarks (apologies for not knowing whether they were Eastern or Western, as
they
never sang and the breasts were still gray). Two were on the SD side, 1 just
south of the
MN overlook.

Note: the road that loops back into MN from the SD side northwest of Salt Lake
is in
terrible condition. Travel not advised without a 4WD truck. I'll monitor the
conditions and
report when it becomes navigable.

Lots of Horned Larks in open fields.

Flocks of Canada Geese were landing at Big Stone NWR this afternoon. Ice cover
rapidly
diminishing. On the wildlife drive I also saw 1 Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker, 3 Red
Tailed
Hawks, and 1 Cooper's Hawk.

Jason Frank