On Monday night I headed down to the Frontenac area near Lake City to run
my first Frog & Toad survey of the season. I figured this might be the only
night this week that I wouldn't be rained out and if I waited any longer I
would loose any chance of finding Wood Frogs, which have the shortest
calling period of any of the frogs. The temperatures were in the 50's when
I started out, but had dropped into the 40's by the time I started the run.
It is not recommended that the survey be run if the temperature is below
42, but it did not drop that low until I finished. I was rewarded with
great choruses of frogs at many of the stops and ended up with all 4
species of early singers: the easy to miss Wood Frog, Northern Leopard,
Chorus, and Spring Peepers. Plus, I found one or two American Toads, which
are not expected to be singing this early in the spring.

Not many night birds were calling. I had both Barred and Great-horned owls
and a Virginia Rail. I had no Sora's answer my recording. I did flush
either a Woodcock or Snipe, but I did not get more than a second to make an
ID.

Driving on Tuesday, I found the first Tree Swallows of the year and they
were on every pond and lake I looked. Today (Friday) I had a pair of
Rough-winged Swallows in expected nesting habitat: the paved lot behind a
warehouse. Barn Swallows like to nest in the doorways of the docks and
Rough-wings, which are cavity nests, favor the bottoms of parked trailors,

On Tuesday night I found the first light loving night insects swarming on
the window, a mix of midges and what appeared to be moth flies, but I have
never seen them in any numbers before and especially not on my windows at
night. Moth flies, look like miniature moths about a quarter of an inch
long. I was also surprised that they would be out so early in the season.

Steve Weston
On Quigley Lake in Eagan, MN
swest...@comcast.net