Just a few minutes ago while driving through Mound Spring SNA along
240th Ave in Yellow Medicine County, 3 female Sharp Tailed Grouse
flushed from the ditch- at which point I noticed 2 males having a
dance-off on the lek. This is the southernmost (and hilliest) portion
of the SNA, coordinates here:

44.747094, -96.424150

The females flew and landed about 50 yards to the north in private
pasture. They didn't seem to be in a hurry, either. They flushed just
3 feet from my vehicle. The males paid me no mind and kept on dancing.
A light rain was falling.

In weeks past, the birds have been very skittish. Perhaps the warm
weather has boosted their confidence.

I'll bee checking the Plover Prairie lek tomorrow morning and will
also have a detailed assessment of road conditions for the Salt Lake
count territory.

--
Jason M. Frank
Founder and Vice President,

jmfran...@gmail.com
>From the Lovely Land of Lac qui Parle
https://turnstonecreations.smugmug.com/

Sent from my invisible blue Homing Pigeon