* Actions https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#

Hi,

This email is delayed about a months as I mistakenly sent it from my work email
address so it was refused.

This morning after shoveling (early April), high in a maple tree on our lot in
Eagan, I heard a song I’ve not heard before. There were two parts, quite
consistent in structure: a fairly rapid trill like a chipping sparrow or
dark-eyed junco, and then dropping in pitch (about a perfect 4th to the
musically inclined) for 3-5 very short, more mechanical, bursts. I looked for
several minutes and once I thought I’d located it, I turned to get binocs. Of
course as soon as a turned the calling stopped and the bird had left.

Consulting iBird, the closest recording I could find is for dark-eyed junco,
the first sound in a recording from AZ described as for the “gray-headed
group.” The similar species listed (WEWA, CHSP, OCWA) don’t have close to the
pattern I heard.

Has anyone heard anything like this? If so, have you ID’d the bird?

Thanks, Mike Koutnik