All,

I am an out-of-state birder and will be presenting at a conference in
Minneapolis Oct 30-Nov 1. I have planned my flights to allow me to bird for
a couple of days before the conference and plan to go up to the Duluth
area. Although there are no "must get" birds for me, a quick look at ebird
suggested that the birding could be very interesting for me since I have
lived in southern California for almost 20 years. I have a few questions
about the birds up around Duluth:

1.       It is apparent to me that many northern species (e.g. redpolls,
Snow Buntings, Pine Grosbeaks, Rusty Blackbirds, BB and 3T Woodpeckers,
etc.) are migrating through the lake shore area at this time. However, it
seems like that many of these records are flybys at Hawk Mountain and other
spots. While I am certainly keen to see this kind of migration, I was
wondering if there are good places to view these migrants while they are
feeding or resting when I could get good looks.

2.       I will potentially want to spend some time looking for Spruce,
Ruffed, and Sharp-tailed Grouse. What is the effort level required to have
a reasonable chance of seeing any of these at this time of year?

3.       Is there anywhere around Duluth or Minneapolis where Barred Owls
can be seen at daytime roosts or with a low level of owling effort?

Please reply off-list as I don’t want to clutter the archives with any
follow up discussions.

Thanks,

--
Nick Lethaby