The Nov/Dec issue arrived in my in-box at 4:40 a.m. today. I have already read
most of it, and will save the rest for dinner-time reading - gotta get SOME
stuff done today!

The most inspiring article for me, is Carrol Henderson's introductory article
as the new MOU Conservation Chair. I have always been in awe of the way Carrol
writes to inspire. Reading it gets me thinking. Here are a couple of ways I
have tried to be effective over the years:

Host an MOU Youth Mentor Kit. A GREAT way to get kids out birding. School
children from 4-7th grades do regular nature segments during the year - one is
always about birds. Hosts contact local schools and home-school groups to set
up times to go birding with a class. I have been birding with both schools and
scouts. I learned to KISS!

VOTE, AND contact your legislators. Bob Dunlap and Carrol Henderson both
focused on legislative matters. To those who have never called or written to
their state and US Congress-people: I say DO IT! Go to your elected officials'
websites, send them an email, or better yet? Call to give your opinion. BEST?
Visit them to talk about your issues. Visiting alone or with a group is the
best way to 'read' what they think about an issue. Don't be shy, they were
elected to SERVE THE PEOPLE. They should want to know what we think.

Join a local Audubon Chapter or Nature Center. Become active in attending
and/or leading field trips. Go to their programs. This issue has a lot of field
trips on the Calendar. If your local group is not listed, go to their website
to find their schedule. Like Dave Bartkey says, going with a group enhances
your chances of learning more about birds. By becoming active locally, you meet
other birders and become more knowledgeable about local issues.

For those who enjoy being around children, become a Merit Badge Counselor for
the Scouts. The Bird Study merit badge booklet was re-written by none other
than Scott Weidensaul a few years ago, with illustrations by Julie Zickefoose.
It's a great resource for beginning birders! I manage a district list of
counselors for Northern Star Council, and can tell you, scouts all over the
state need people to become active counselors - there are 136 topics - you may
find more than one that you can help kids with!

Do you get the Minnesota Conservation Volunteer? If not, sign up today!! It's
one of the best of 50 state nature-related conservation magazines. It's free,
but your donation will sure help them produce these lovely and timely journals.

I found that along with raising two children and holding down a career, I could
be effective by using my design and editing skills, so I know that even if
you're not out in the field actually looking at birds every day, there are ways
to use your knowledge to help birds.

Holly Peirson

Columbus, Anoka Co.