I observed a Loggerhead Shrike today near Division Street and St. Croix Trail.
I arrived at 11:20 to see if kestrels are using the nest box across Division
Street from the Bison Prairie parking lot.  In two hours, I did not see any
kestrels.  I did, however, see a Loggerhead Shrike along the north-south fence
line north of Division Street and a bit west of the entrance to the Bison
Prairie Parking lot.  The shrike was in the area for about 15 minutes.  A good
scope view from 400 feet and the calendar give me confidence that it was a
Loggerhead, not Northern, Shrike.  At about 2:15, the shrike flushed from the
fence on the west side of St. Croix Trail north of Division Street as I drove
past.  This is the same general area where a Northern Mockingbird was present
two years ago.

Julian
St. Paul